Successfully overcoming an addiction to opioids takes more than relinquishing use of a substance or substances. The reasons why individuals turn to opioid use in the first place are often deeply rooted in numerous factors that must be addressed and treated prior to achieving true recovery. Because of this, patients must receive treatment for both the physical and the emotional components of their addictions. By incorporating individual therapy into a patient’s comprehensive treatment plan, individuals are able to receive one-on-one counseling while receiving the following benefits:
- Recognizing past traumatic events that may have caused patients to turn to utilizing substances in the first place.
- Developing new viewpoints in relation to both the obvious and the underlying causes of addiction.
- Formulating new and healthy techniques for handling stressful or overwhelming feelings.
- Appropriately handling obstacles and/or achievements throughout the course of treatment.
- Creating new ways to avoid or handle compromising situations in which drug use may be tempting.
- Creating personal goals for both the present and the future.
Once patients are able to understand their own behaviors, emotions, feelings, and reasoning behind their actions and choices, they are able to lay the foundation necessary for building a recovered future. Individual therapy plays an imperative role in the progression of patients as they navigate through the recovery journey. These sessions also provide patients with a safe environment in which to discuss and work through any issues that may arise throughout the course of treatment.
In addition, patients who take part in individual counseling sessions will experience the following throughout the therapeutic process:
- An increase in their self-confidence
- Improved self-esteem
- A reduction of stress
- An increased sense of self-awareness
At New Hampshire Comprehensive Treatment Centers, we believe that individual therapy plays a critical role in the comprehensive treatment of individuals who are struggling with an addiction to opioids. When patients are able to openly discuss their emotions and situations with a qualified counselor, they are able to obtain the support, education, and compassion that is necessary to achieve long-term recovery. In addition to the progress that is made within individual counseling sessions, the therapeutic relationship that develops between patient and counselor provides our medical staff with the opportunity to monitor patients throughout the course of treatment. This will help to ensure that patients are not only receiving the appropriate treatment, but also following any guidelines that are put in place regarding their medication assisted treatment.
To learn more about individual therapy and the other treatment options available through New Hampshire Comprehensive Treatment Centers, please contact us today. We are here to assist you in breaking free from the dangerous cycle of opioid addiction.